|MAY DAY 2017|
|Publication Date||May 1, 2017|
|Smiley Type||Smiley with 6 hairs|
SR/CL: May Day, 2017 Leitmotiv: "The most important branch of science: theology"—Hegel
The 487th Anniversary of the Confessio Augustana will be celebrated in the 10-43 Room of the Hotel California. The Loyal Order of Un-reconstructed Freaks will distribute the annual dividend of the Breitenfeld Battle Bond and apply the proceeds to the Summer Tour. The itinerary can be cybernetically accessed from the Feather River placers which have been rejuvenated by the massive winter rains and snows. Orate pro nobis. ★
Two solid black borders with the following inscriptions:
- Top: Luther Exclamation Point (!)
- Left: Gustavus Adolphus Semicolon (;)
- Right: Cromwell Star Symbol (★)
- Bottom: Calvin Pound Sign (#)
The center of the ad is a large grid, laid out in a similar fashion to a sudoku grid. There are nine squares of nine cells each.
The numbers 6 and 9 are placed to the left and right of the grid. 6 and 9 have rotational (radial) symmetry of 180°. The grid itself also has several elements of rotational symmetry.
The shapes formed by the numbers are horizontally, vertically, and rotationally symmetrical:
At first glance, the numbers in the grid do not display any symmetry in value, but the relationships between the numbers do display rotational symmetry. When rotated 180°, the value differences between adjacent cells remain the same.
"The most important branch of science: theology"—Hegel
This quote is not directly attributable to Hegel, however the sentiment is expressed in his lectures on the history of philosophy.
From the time of Charles the Great it was only in two places — in the great schools attached to the great cathedral churches and monasteries — that a cleric, that is a canon who had the oversight of the instructors (informatores), was called scholasticus; he likewise gave lectures on the most important branch of science, theology.
- The 487th anniversary of the Augsburg Confession is June 25, 2017.
- Feather River placers - The Feather River is the principal tributary of the Sacramento River in Northern California. During the Gold Rush, the Feather River was a center of gold mining activity, particularly placer deposit mining. A placer deposit is an accumulation of minerals formed during sedimentary processes. Heavy or dense minerals, such as gold, sink and collect in alluvial placer deposits when the velocity of water is not sufficient to continue moving them. The ad seems to be referencing a recent event at the Oroville Dam, the tallest earthen dam in the country, which dams the Feather River—In February 2017, during heavy rains, the Oroville Dam's main and emergency spillways were damaged, leading to the evacuation of 180,000 people who lived along the river.
Scientific and mathematical references
- 10-43 may refer to the Planck Time, the earliest moment in the history of the universe where our physics still works. It is also the smallest amount of time that can be studied in a laboratory using current physics. University of Oregon lecture